How to Make CBD Brownies – All About the CBD Icing
Cannabis has been baked into brownies for decades. Yet, more and more people want to make use of the therapeutic properties of CBD without the high of THC. This CBD brownie recipe does just that. Better yet, this CBD brownie recipe delivers CBD through a simple to make icing, rather than the brownies themselves. With the CBD icing alone, you can easily add CBD to any of your favorite chocolatey baked goods.
This CBD brownie recipe is an adaptation of an Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) recipe from Unbound Wellness. I’ve been eating AIP for a few months to discover possible trigger foods that affect my arthritis and overall well-being. One of the foods you can’t eat while strictly on AIP is chocolate.
Yes. I know. But you can easily sub in cocoa powder for the carob powder and it will work the same. So, if you want chocolate, enjoy some chocolate!
In addition to using carob powder, these brownies have pumpkin in them. Since it is fall and the season of pumpkin everything, I found these brownies to be a perfect match to the cooler temperatures and change of season. The pumpkin is there, but not overpowering.
Another thing I like about this recipe is that the serving is small. If you notice, the pan is only 5×7 inches. I love brownies and have little self-control. Like most things, I consider the serving size to be the container. By making a small pan of brownies I limit the amount of damage I can do when indulging my sweet tooth.
Lastly, a sprinkle of coarse salt at the end of the recipe adds a nice little burst of savory flavor and plays well with the pumpkin and chocolate (or carob in my case).
If you don’t like the sound of pumpkin brownies, feel free to make your favorite brownie recipe and add the CBD icing at the end. That’s the real magic of this recipe. Find a brownie recipe that works for you and then top it off with some relaxing CBD chocolate icing.
CBD Brownie Recipe
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup carob or cocoa powder
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup coconut oil (+ extra to grease the pan)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp gelatin and ¼ cup of water for the gelatin egg
- Sprinkle of coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon CBD Tincture (~2.5 mL)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp carob or cocoa powder
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Two mixing bowls
- 5×7 inch Pyrex
- Small sauce pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Combine the coconut flour, tapioca starch, carob (or cocoa) powder, and baking soda.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and softened coconut oil and stir until thoroughly combined.
- For the gelatin egg, in a small sauce pan pour the gelatin over ¼ cup of water and allow to bloom for 1-2 minutes.
- On the stove top, turn the heat on low and allow the gelatin mixture to quickly melt. Once the gelatin appears to have dissolved, whisk vigorously until the “egg” is frothy.
- Add the gelatin egg to the mixture immediately and stir. The batter will not be like traditional brownie batter but will be more like dough.
- Grease a 5×7 baking dish with coconut oil and press the brownie mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before topping with icing and course salt.
- Prepare the CBD icing by adding melted coconut oil, carob (or cocoa) powder, and maple syrup to a bowl. Mix well. Add CBD tincture to mixture and mix again.
- Drizzle the CBD icing mixture over the brownies and allow the icing to set.
- Top with a sprinkle of coarse salt.